Friday, July 29, 2011

Our handwriting song!


This idea isn't mine, but a fabulous idea I adapted from one of my co-workers. It worked so well last year.

At first, I talk to the children about their "1st grade lines" or their "big kid lines" (because big kids write in the lines). I tell them that there's a head line (I put my hands on my head), mid line (hands on my hips), and a base line (hands on down). I tell them that SOME letters  "hang their bottoms down"

I have all the children stand up and we simply sing the ABC song (looking at the lower case letters)except we sing a little song when we get to the ones that dip below the line ...
"a (hands on hips)
b(hands on head)
c(hips)
d (head)
e (hips)
f (head)
g...ggggggggg??? (hands out like we're confused) Hang your bottoms down down, hang your bottoms down, some letters stand real tall (hands on head) some sit on the line (hands on hips) and some hang their bottoms down down (shake ourselves down).
h (head)
i(hips)
j...jjjjjjjjjj???? (hands out like we're confused) Hang your bottoms down down, hang your bottoms down, some letters stand real tall (hands on head) some sit on the line (hands on hips) and some hang their bottoms down down (shake ourselves down)."

and we do that all the way to Z. The kids are exhausted and all smiles by the time we're done with the alphabet, but it teaches them the be mindful of where each letter is and how it's formed.

If you have questions, post below. I hope it was clear enough! :)

1 comment:

  1. What is the tune you sing to (other than the alphabet song)? Is there a video I can watch?

    ReplyDelete